A new cluster of meta-operating systems research and innovation actions received 64 million euros of EU funding, in order to revolutionize edge computing in Europe.
For Europe to maintain and, why not, augment its strength in the computing continuum, serious work needs to be done in the field. Especially for what concerns the energy sector and grid edge technologies and infrastructure, the EU needs to create platforms for IoT and the edge and it needs to make them open and community-driven.
This is why the European Commission is currently developing the Digitalization of Energy Act in parallel and in synergy with RePower Europe. The Act is going to focus on the creation of an IoT-supported energy system with the end consumer/prosumer in mind. That is, the benefits that the consumer will enjoy once given the tools to both understand and manage her energy consumption, production and storage.
Enter the meta-operating systems that include 6 projects and 3 coordination and support actions that operate in the cloud-edge-IoT domain.
Have you read?
Horizon Europe: Five flexibility projects
Dutch battery projects combat grid bottleneck
- aeROS: delivering common virtualized services to enable orchestration, virtual communication and efficient support for AI and creation of distributed data-driven applications.
- FluiDOS: delivering a computing continuum spanning across devices and unifying edge and cloud in an energy-efficient manner.
- ICOS: aiming to design, develop and validate a meta-operating system by addressing the various emerging challenges, while also covering the fields of security, privacy and trust.
- NebulOus: introducing advanced methods to enable secure and optimal application provisioning, resource adaptation and reconfiguration.
- NEMO: introducing an open source, modular and cyber secure meta-operating system.
- NEPHELE: enabling the efficient, reliable and secure end-to-end orchestration of hyper-distributed applications.
…and the actions
- HiPEAC: will reinforce the development of Europe’s computing ecosystem to support digitalisation.
- OpenContinuum: will support the cloud-edge-IoT domain by focusing on the supply side of the computing continuum landscape.
- Unlock-CEI: will unlock the potential for accelerating the deployment of the cloud-edge-IoT (CEI) computing continuum in Europe.
European initiatives like this new cluster, demonstrate how challenges (e.g. geopolitical) can transform into opportunities to accelerate the green and the digital transition. Don’t you agree?